1. What are IP cameras?
An Internet Protocol camera, or IP camera, is a type of digital video camera similar to a webcam that receives data and sends image data via a network or the Internet. Requiring no local recording device, it only needs a local area network to transfer images. It has its own IP address and connects to the network just like any other devices such as our mobile phone, laptop, etc.
2. What are the benefits of getting an IP camera?
- They can record at a higher resolution.
- Images captured can be viewed anywhere and anytime via the Internet.
- Difference in video quality (you can pan or zoom in and out).
- Data is authenticated and encrypted before sending over the Internet making it more reliable.
- Camera can be controlled remotely
- Easy to install since fewer Cables are needed as it only needs to be connected to the network.
3. What’s the first thing to do when you get your IP camera?
It is extremely important to change the default password and IP address of the camera for security reasons.
Your password should be :
- At least 8 characters—the more characters, the better.
- A mixture of both uppercase and lowercase letters.
- A mixture of letters and numbers.
- Inclusion of at least one special character
Do not lose this password or leave it lying around. Use a password manager to remember complicated passwords.
4. How can you protect your IP camera ?
You should only authorise people whom you trust to access the app and make sure those accounts are also tied to a strong complex password. It is important to make sure that the mobile devices used to access the app are factory reset with all data deleted before disposal or sale.
5. Are IP security cameras unsafe to use in general?
6. Are there any software that can help make IP security cameras more secure?
I won’t say there is a particular software that can secure an IP camera, but the environment itself can be secured. The home router and every single device in the network has to follow the basic rule of having a complex password. It is also important to turn on the firewall on the router or even better, have a physical firewall. This is usually more common for corporate usage. The firewall will block intruders and can monitor the traffic as well.